The present walls of broken rock come from the 15th century, when the earlier wooden fortifications were rebuilt after being destroyed in the Hussite wars. Approx. 30% of the former walls have surrvived to this day. The Lower Gate used to lead from the direction of Wrocław into the town, however, it was demolished in 1849 and reconstructed was in 1929-1932. This was when the eagle holding a shield of arms of the city was placed on the gate.